Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Yes, we are Dinosaurs, and we are Proud of It!

The commercial Martial Arts associations call us Dinosaurs, and we do love it, that's just what we want to be, the Old School. They say we should wake up and treat our schools a business and back away from the old way of doing things. But the truth of the matter is we are not a Business we are a Family of devotees that love the old ways of teaching and dealing with all aspects of our ancient arts.

Commercial schools would have you believe their way is best to earn tons of money and hundreds of students. But a Traditional School does not think that way. Money has never been our goal in teaching but rather finding people who have a love for this art and its old ways of doing things, which in my opinion has a quality about it that commercial schools have lost along the way. They tell you we have our head buried in the sand of time and refuse to change with the times. And I agree with that and love it. Traditional Martial Artists are not interested in the number of students as much as they are interested in the quality of students, not how much they can gain from ripping people off for every little thing the offer.

Now commercial schools have many big name Martial artists behind them, and to this I say they Sold Out the Old Ways, and more then likely it was for some monetary gain. I would rather close my schools then ripe people off. I love teaching, so I can help people find their way through the hard road we call life. Money was never a motive for my Master nor is it for me.

ACCS is a unique school that focuses on quality of teaching and helping people even those with little or no money. You can not buy anything from us you don’t earn, that means rank. Where as in many commercial schools if you got the money you will get the Black Belt after they take you for all they can. In traditional schools we don’t even charge for promotions that you earn, but you wont get it if you don’t meet the standards no matter how much money you offer.

Commercial associations contact me almost on a daily basis trying to get me to join in their associations telling me how much money I can make if I follow their prescribed way of doing business. My answer is always the same NO Thanks! I would rather close my schools then submit to ripping people off for every penny I can get from them or having collection agencies going after delinquent students. In a Traditional School this never happens. If you don’t pay we try to help you and work with your finances so you can continue in your training without worry. It is always The Students Word of Honor and Our word of Honor that is the basis of the relationship between the student and the Master.

As I have always told my up and coming Black Belts, which we call Laoshr Levels in Kung Fu, " If you want to be rich then don’t become a Teacher of this Art." Money is never the objective rather, it is a means to preserve what we hold near and dear to our heart, namely passing the arts and all its traditions on to the next generation of people. It has survived that way for thousands of years and I am not about to change what I have been taught from my Masters. I can sleep at night knowing I have never cheated anyone out of money, but rather have given them the gift of our art to help them in develop the Mind Body and spirit development.

Yes, I am a dinosaur, and I love it and those that train in a traditional schools will say the same. There is a love there between the Master and his students that money can not buy. There is a respect there for what our Masters taught for generations and remains the same to this day. We are not progressive, we are constant in our approach to teaching and spreading the Real Meanings of this art and one of them is not ripping people off.

No comments:

Post a Comment